STEPS TO FOLLOW AS YOU BUILD YOUR SITE
OK, we’ve covered all of the theory you need. It’s time to start working on your site. This document provides a step-by-step plan to keep you on the right track. Refer back to the tutorials in this course if you need help with any particular item in this plan.
THE 20 STEP PLAN TO A WORDPRESS WEBSITE
1. Choose a domain name and register it. Connect the domain to your web host.
2. Install WordPress on your domain.
3. Clear out the pre-installed post, page & comment.
4. Change the default category to something more useful.
5. Set up a Gravatar on the email address you plan to use as your site admin email.
6. Add your Author Profile bio.
7. Add a list of update services in the Settings -> Writing area.
8. Update all WordPress settings as shown in this course, section 4.
9. Install WordPress SEO, and activate your sitemap.
10. Install WP-DBManager to create automatic backups for your site.
11. Are you using a static homepage, or a blog style homepage? If you want to use a static homepage, create a WordPress Page with the content you want to use, and tell WordPress to use that page for the homepage of the site.
12. Create Contact, About, Terms, Privacy & Disclaimer pages.
13. Setup a custom menu to display these pages either at the top of your site, or in the footer widget area.
14. Install the various WordPress security measures described in the WordPress Security section of this course.
15. Setup some categories for your posts.
16. Write some posts to each category. Use tags sparingly.
17. Install the YARPP plugin, so posts have a related post section at the end.
18. Install social sharing plugins so visitors can share your content and follow you on your social channels.
19. Keep adding content in the form of posts to you site.
20. Have fun!